Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Time Management





Writing a book is a  lot of fun. Writing a book well is a lot of hard work. Managing to obtain publication for said book is becoming easier, but it is still more on the work side than the fun side. 


All of the above is cheesecake, however, compared to promoting said book. At least, that's how it is for me.


There are so many options available today for self-promotion. If you look around the web, you will be inundated with advice and opportunities for getting your name, or brand, out to the public. But it is so very time consuming. So an author has to become familiar with what works and what doesn't, which eats up more of the precious time that could be going toward that next book. 


I hate to admit it, but my WIP has turned into a WTF. Now wait. That isn't what you may think. I'm referring to my work in progress, which is another YA story, but nothing like Michaela's Gift. But all the time I'm spending on promotion has turned it into a work totally forsaken. I'm really not trying to whine about it. I'd love to find answers on how to balance my time so that I can still make progress on it, and help support my fellow writers.


When I say that I'm working on promoting, I'm not referring to only my own work. The publishing house I signed with, Musa Publishing, is an amazing group that supports and promotes each other. I'm not complaining about the time I spend helping out my fellow writers. I'm a huge advocate of the mindset that places others first. It's one way of living what I try to teach my children. 


What I'm searching for is advice on what works best, and to discover how others find a balance between writing and promotional work. I'd love to hear from you, if you can find the time and still get your more important work done.


Have a great week, everyone.


Cordelia 

0 comments:

Post a Comment