Tuesday, April 16, 2013

A WORTHWHILE READ ON WRITING


SECOND SIGHT:
An Editor’s Talks on Writing, Revising, and Publishing
Books for Children and Young Adults

That’s quite a mouthful for the title of a book. But if you can remember that the author’s name is Cheryl Klein, you can find it easily on a Google search. If you write for kids, it would be time well spent.

I’ve read a few books on writing. Not a trunk-load or anything, but enough to know that I didn’t learn a lot from some of them. Some were quite helpful. This is one I’m going to have to purchase because I know I’ll be using it often.

I decided to check this one out at the library first. One reason for that decision is because I’ve bought other writing books, and later wished I had saved my money. Not that I have an aversion to buying books! I’m just running out of room in my old house, and I want great books lining my shelves. This one is pretty great.

Ms. Klein writes in a way that is so uncomplicated, even I get it. And she throws in humor from time to time; something I always enjoy. (I especially loved her description of the sofa.) But there is a wealth of information she has provided from appearances she has made at different writing workshops.

I’m not going to go into details of the book itself. If you write for kids, and want to know the whys behind what works and what doesn’t, and how to make your manuscript touch a chord with an agent or editor, then this book might well be worth your time. I truly appreciate Ms. Klein, and her expertise at such a young age, for sharing with me. I think you will, too, if you read the book!

HAPPY WRITING!

Cordelia Dinsmore

5 comments:

Rita Monette, Writer said...

I've been to her intensive class on plotting. And it was Intensive. Got the book too. I would recommend both.

Sharon Ledwith said...

Thanks, Cordelia and Rita. I'll check her book out! Great post, Cordelia! Cheers!

Cordelia Dinsmore said...

Thanks for stopping by, Rita and Sharon.

Wow, Rita, I envy you for being able to hear her in person.

Sharon. I've read mixed reviews on it, but I thought it was a great help for my own purposes.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing that, Cordelia. :)

Cordelia Dinsmore said...

No problem, Trish! Thanks for stopping by. I love seeing old friends.

Post a Comment